Small stories, carefully considered.
- The Snacks are GreatSo, I fired up the Spotify, got the Wiggles on and played the Hokey Pokey really loud. Everyone in the intersection, including me, stopped what we were doing and did the hokey pokey. With masks and smiling eyes. I got in my car and drove on to pick up other riders.
- Fiction Writer“Leave it to me” I said flooring it “I’m basically a traffic superhero”. I was bragging – it was a dark, rainy Monday and no one was around anyway.
- Some guys are just charming as hellThis one fellow gets into the car early Sunday morning. Very flirty, very cute. Chatting me up, I imagine just for the sport of it. Just because he can. Practice even. Let’s call him Sonny.
- Nothing happens in OamaruHe said “Ask me about my wildest night out” I did and then “In Oamaru?” My voice rising slightly at the end.
- Getting clarity – Part 1 – Go Ask Alice“Still going” she said “I need to do a quick change and head out again – and like a movie star starts zhuzzing herself in the back seat. She had long, blonde hair and she was wearing a headband. Her name was Alice.
- A Tinder DateDear Sophia: I picked up a nice fellow today from the Sylvia Park dining lane. He got in the car, and we started chatting. It was about a fifteen-minute ride to the destination. We rode for a few minutes and exchanged pleasantries. He’s a graphic designer. He asked me what I do and I answered …
- The Whole TruthDear Sophia: I thought he wanted the whole woman, but he was only after a piece. Love, Lilo
- Just down the streetThey were a little bit over the line towards elderly but had clearly had a good day out.
- CruxShe launched into unfaltering Hebrew. In New Plymouth. I was pretty gobsmacked.
- PuffAll he said was “This was scarier”
- HiccupsI went driving tonight and picked up a really drunk guy in Courtney Place, ground zero for Wellington party culture.
- The Loneliest Uber DriverI was shaking, but didn’t know why. He was an ideal rider and paid quite a lot of money for that ride. What was my problem?